Our volunteer advocates are everyday people who come from a variety of backgrounds, need no formal qualifications and make a commitment to another person.
We offer a unique opportunity for volunteers to develop a lasting and meaningful advocacy partnership with another person that makes a real difference to their lives. You will gain real satisfaction of having put something back into the community.
What skills do I need?
- Sensitive to the needs of others.
- Supportive, understanding and non-directive.
- Good communication and listening skills.
- Able to set and maintain appropriate boundaries.
- Able to maintain and respect confidentiality.
- Able to empathise with and relate to people from different backgrounds.
- Ability to respect a person’s individuality in a non-judgmental way.
What is involved?
- To support partners within the guidelines and boundaries of the Project.
- To work with the partner in an empowering way in an effort to promote and encourage independence as far as is possible.
- To be vigilant on behalf of the partner and monitor situations in order to safeguard the partners interests.
- To raise with the appropriate service providers, any issues affecting the life of their partner.
- To support partners in building appropriate social support networks.
- To act in accordance with the wishes of the partner, respecting their rights and dignity, and working within the Volunteer Confidentiality Policy.
What do we offer our volunteers?
- Citizen Advocacy volunteers will complete a series of preparation training sessions.
- Further training and development sessions (internal or external) may be arranged where they complement the volunteers ability to perform their tasks.
- On-going support of the Volunteer Development Officer.
- One to one on-going support and supervision.
- Peer Support Group meetings.
- Agreed out of pocket expenses.
Most of all our volunteers tell us that they feel they make a lasting difference to the lives of those we support.
If this sounds like something you would like to do why not give us a call and we can arrange to meet for an informal chat where can tell you more about the work that’s involved. Ask for Juanita on 0121 520 8070 or contact email@example.com