The Role of an Advocate
An advocate should be there:
- To support the partner in expressing their views, concerns
- To speak on behalf of the partner, raising any issues where
required, but only as the partner wishes. It is desirable that
people regain their own power to speak for themselves where possible.
Advocates will support people when they speak for themselves.
- To develop a one to one relationship with a person for as long
as the person wishes it to continue.
- To allow the partner to make his or her own decisions and choices
whenever possible, even if the process of engagement is slow and
uncertain. An advocate ensures that their partner retains maximum
- To remain neutral, and independent of organisations and services
that their partner is dealing with.
- To understand and respect the rights of partner confidentiality
at all times. Advocates defend their partners’ information
unless expressly allowed to share it.